[RFC] Context-Menu Handling in KDevelop4

David Nolden david.nolden at art-master.de
Wed May 9 17:37:14 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 18:56:00 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 09.05.07 17:52:43, David Nolden wrote:
> I just saw that I misunderstood :) I was actually meaning the Go To
> Decl/Def submenus which expand to 1200x1200 pixel on KDev4's
> projectmodel.cpp.

With a good navigation-system I don't see a reason to recreate these menus for
kdev-4 :)

> The navigation menus are not that problematic (although I think the
> classview-version is not needed anymore, as classview can be hooked to

I don't exactly know about the class-view. Currently that menu is nearly
useless, but maybe it would be useful if it would automatically show the
class-view when it's not visible.

> the editor position), but I seldomly use the mouse in kdev3 for code
> navigation. Especially since we have shortcuts for jump to
> declaration/definition.

It's comfortable using only the mouse for navigation when you have some new
unknown code in front of you and are just taking a look at it. :-)

Also sometimes you want to know what something is before you jump to it, or
when you have a shared pointer you want to jump to the type it points to, not
to the pointer-class, so sometimes the keyboard-shortcuts cannot help you.

What makes it a bit harder is that the navigation-menu is hidden within such a
big context-menu.

> Also I just see that the navigate by menu doesn't work, having a
> d-variable it tells me to navigate by QFontPrivate* d and not the
> proper ProjectBaseItemPrivate*.

Does navigation by keyboard work in such a case? However, that's something
that hopefully won't happen for KDev-4 ;) SOC is starting so my priority will
be kdev-4 code-completion for the next time.

greetings, David