VCS Interfaces, round 3

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri May 4 18:02:29 UTC 2007

On 04.05.07 10:48:31, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> That said, I disagree with your examples for log; both are artificial
> limitations. Limiting the number of entries is unnecessary for the
> scripted version, and for the UI version we have scroll bars :-).

The reason is simply the time it takes to compute and transfer the log,
its surely faster than a remote-diff with svn but it still takes time
(see my other answer for some numbers).

> Stopping at copying I don't see the utility of /at all/, except that svn
> seems to be missing the copy-source and repo-path in its log output.

No it doesn't, you just have to tell it to be very verbose and it is
useful if you want to limit the time which the log() takes to compute
(or retrieve) the data.

However I agree that stop-on-copy is not useful enough (and might be
unsupported by various VCS) to have it in the generic interface.

Example from my personal repository:
andreas at morpheus:~>svn log -v --limit 2 https://www.apaku.de/subversion/GeoAnalysis/branches
r928 | andreas | 2007-05-04 19:59:49 +0200 (Fr, 04 Mai 2007) | 2 lines
Geänderte Pfade:
   A /GeoAnalysis/branches (von /GeoAnalysis/trunk:927)

Test something

andreas at morpheus:~>svn log -v --limit 2 https://www.apaku.de/subversion/GeoAnalysis/branch1
r929 | andreas | 2007-05-04 20:00:47 +0200 (Fr, 04 Mai 2007) | 1 line
Geänderte Pfade:
   A /GeoAnalysis/branch1 (von /GeoAnalysis/branches:928)
   D /GeoAnalysis/branches

The second is a move. Note the -v option which tells you all this.

> the option becomes pointless. In fact this may mean we /have/ to use the
> svn API as I so far can't figure out how to get the information out of
> the CLI.

see above, reading svn help log or svn log --help helps sometimes ;)

> Note: I am thinking that showCommit() should also allow
> selecting/deselecting of files for /all/ VCS's.

Yes sure, it should be a widget in our vcs-lib (where also VcsJob and
the VcsHelpers stuff will live, i.e. anything thats not a pure IFace)

You have a strong appeal for members of the opposite sex.