[KDev4] vcs integration

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Mar 27 13:22:09 UTC 2007

On Monday 26 March 2007, dukju ahn wrote:
> 2007/3/27, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> > > For instance, some people may want to add files just to project,
> > > but not to VCS.
> >
> > Uhm, really? Can you elaborate on the use-case? After all, add() only
> > adds it like svn add, it doesn't commit anything. If I create a new file
> > and add it to the project I want it to be part of the svn too.
>
> One use-case is creating test files/dirs. Sombody want to maintain
> his private testfiles. And he wants to add to project to use
> jump-to-definition, building and etc.
> But nobody wants the testfiles to be added to VCS.

What's the problem with removing them when you're done? We have a GUI you
know, so it should be fairly effortless.

> > > Usually, people frequently change working copy.
> > > But it is only the final, and one time, step to add files to VCS.
> >
> > No its not, IMHO. I've added/removed files from svn in projects all the
> > time, without committing anything. Thats not a problem, IMHO.
>
> Then how about introduce a option checkbox at ProjectManager dialogbox
> such as "Add this file/dir to version control system" ?
>
> By default, it is checked. In case of testing stuff, the user uncheck it
> not to add to VCS.

If you use aegis, your test files under the change directory may be wiped at
will if you invoke aeclean, which is meant to be a safe thing to do. Doing
things your way under aegis would be bad. Only if you add the files to the
change you can feel safe about them staying there.

Cheers, Kuba