[OT] plugins and QDockWidget

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Mar 24 22:08:28 UTC 2007

On 25.03.07 03:14:32, kitts wrote:
> On Sunday 25 Mar 2007 IST, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > For the situation I described (with embedded designer) we'd need to do
> > this: - when designer part is opened, the designer plugin adds a toolview
> > factory for this part
> > - kdevelop immediatelly shows the toolviews because this is how it is
> >   currently done in UiController (the one in the shell application)
>
> Perhaps i need to look into the ToolviewFactory API to understand better.
> Going by what i have seen as a kdev3 user, each plugin has at most one
> toolview. Something like designer would require more than one toolview. In
> kdev4, thanks to the factory approach, there can be more than one toolview
> for a plugin but as i understand, the creation of the second toolview is
> user invoked and not a decision made by the plugin itself.

Uhm, a new toolview onto the same underlying widget is user invoked.
However a plugin may create as many different toolviews using different
factories as it likes. So for the designer example you'd have about 6 or
7 different factories and toolview types. And the user could create
another toolview for any of these 7 types. This user-creatable
toolview-thing is mainly for stuff like the fileselector and konsole
where the user may want to have multiple konsoles open at once.
Something that was not possible in kdev3.

> > PS: currently UiController in KDevelop does not expose hiding/showing the
> > toolviews for plugins. But that's easy to implement.
>
> A good addition? :-)

Maybe, until we need it we won't add it. And hiding/showing a toolview
would probably hide/show it on each area (else plugins need to know
about area's which they shouldn't need to care).

You will soon meet a person who will play an important role in your life.