[OT] plugins and QDockWidget

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Sat Mar 24 18:19:08 UTC 2007

On Saturday 24 March 2007 19:46, kitts wrote:
> I was wondering how kdevelop's embedded designer maintained dockwidgets? As
> i know only mainwindows can dock widgets. The only way i see it possible is
> that designer maintains a mainwindow which is embedded into the kdevelop's
> central tabwidget!?
QtDesigner indeed has a mainwindow with docks. When I wrote KDevDesigner
KPart, I just used that mainwindow as a part widget that gets embedded into
a tab.

> On the otherhand if kdevelop used qt4 dockwidgets for its tools interface
> then would it be possible that when a designer (a plugin?) file tab is
> opened that its own dock widgets merge with the other kdevelop dockwidgets
> and then automatically disappear on tab switch?
>
> I think for that to be possible, kdevelop's mainwindow should be the owner
> of the dockwidget and designer should be informed that it has lost focus.
> It then should hide all its own dockwidgets? Right?
One possible way to do that is
- have designer kpart which is embedded as normally
- have a kdevelop plugin that reacts on designer part activation signal,
asks designer part about its toolviews and adds/removes them to kdevelop's
mainwindow as necessary