KDE/kdevelop/languages/cpp

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Tue Jun 26 14:41:46 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 16:12:04 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 26.06.07 15:43:45, David Nolden wrote:
> Sure. I completely agree. In case nobody noticed: I wasn't expecting you
> or Kris to drop that thing right away, I know you need that to make
> duchain/code-completion/.... work. All I said was that your points of
> cmake-generate Makefile's and non-project-files are not good arguments
> for having the include-path resolver. The only good and perfectly valid
> argument is that there's no other way currently to find out about
> include paths.
>
> Andreas

And this is my point:
I think, even when every build-system we have perfectly computes the
include-paths, we still need a way to get include-paths for files that are
within no configured project, whereby I don't mean external files included by
a project, but files that are completely independent. We cannot do it
perfectly, but the include-path-resolver at least works for most cases on
unix(especially for the still most common automake-bases projects).

The use-case:
My video-driver has a bug, I download the source using apt-get source, compile
it, open a file with kdevelop, can comfortably navigate the code, get
code-completion, find the error, fix it, ready.

That's something I wouldn't do with kdevelop now, because it needs too much
setup. That's why I want decent code-completion without any setup in
kdevelop-4. It surely won't work for all cases, but if it works for most
cases, and especially for the most simple cases, it would be ok to me.

greetings, David