[KDev4] GDB debugger working style questions.

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Thu Jun 21 04:46:51 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 23:49, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > 3. Shortcut to start debugger.
> >
> > There is no concept of "active project" in Kdev4. Now the user
> > presses F9, how does the gdb know which project to start?
>
> The user doesn't press F9 :) Well actually that's something we need to
> solve in a more general way.

When the user presses F9, debugger should launch the default debugger
configuration, which is typically the last debugger configuration launched.
There's no need, I think, to tie debugger configuration with projects --
you can decide to debug random binary on your disk.

> > 4. Gdb plugin path.
> >
> > In kdev3, gdb is under languages/cpp/debugger. But gdb is not designed
> > only for C. Fortran and other languages can use gdb. I suggest
> > plugin/gdb as its path.
>
> Actually I'd rather see a more general debug/run framework in
> kdevplatform, with gdb implementing it for certain types of
> binaries/languages. I haven't thought about that too much, IIRC Volodya
> had some ideas on how to do that, but he's been largely "away" lately.

I actually don't have good ideas for *that*. I'd imagine that fortran
will need some specific logic, not to mention ada (that gdb also supports),
and I don't know the best way to handle that yet.

What we surely might have, is a set of basic debugger widgets, however, to be reused by
specific debugger types.

- Volodya