History Navigation Proposal by Alexander

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Sun Jun 10 16:13:35 UTC 2007

On 6/10/07, Matt Rogers <mattr at kde.org> wrote:
> >> v.2 Global History Navigation With Switching
> >
> > Too complicated and probably going to be a usability nightmare due to
> > the focus switching. There are no focus indicators at the moment,
> > except
> > the blinking cursor which is hard to see already for people with 100%
> > sight.
> Agreed.

Now imagine we have better indication of where the cursor is. It's not
so hard to implement - just highlight the status/title bar of the
current editor view. What would you think then?

> And it's one of the reasons I don't use kate's split view. If I were
> to use history, i'd want to have per view history, which is what I
> get with v1, rather than all the files i've ever opened history.

The problem is that with v1 you have to keep the list of opened files
in the view both in the UI and in your mind. That list is usually tabs
in the UI and tabs... well.. don't scale ;)

IMHO if we are to avoid tabs, we need to avoid the "list of opened
files in this view" too. Because once we remove tabs, we remove the
last visible clue about opened files in the view.

File list will not help here much because it can list only all opened
files, not the ones in the split view.