QFileSystemWatcher vs KDirWatch

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Jun 2 18:47:13 UTC 2007

On Saturday 02 June 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 02.06.07 20:27:13, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 June 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > As I tried to explain: KDirWatch uses questionable ways of
> > > getting notified for changes. We just recently received a
> > > bugreport for KDevelop3 from somebody who can't/want to switch
> > > away from fam.
> >
> > I'm lost here, what are the KDirWatch problems? Were they presented
> > on kde-core-devel?
>
> The most serious problem is that it uses a broken notification system
> on *nix (fam/gamin).
Depends. It is a configure switch for kdelibs.
It uses:
- fam/gamin: if it was enabled and it is present
- kernel (inotify, maybe dnotify)
- polling

What does the Qt class use if not the ones above?

> Another problem is that various things are not
> implemented and some things are missing (for example stopping
> watching of individual files).

KDirWatch::removeFile and KDirWatch::addFile works for me just fine in
KDE3.

> Yes I asked (quite some while ago) what the plans are for KDirWatch
> on k-c-d, and IIRC the answer is: unless somebody steps up to work on
> it it will stay as is.

Probably because it works for most cases and there was no need to change
it.

Andras