Standard difference viewer

dukju ahn dukjuahn at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 06:43:44 UTC 2007

2007/7/20, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> On 20.07.07 12:36:37, dukju ahn wrote:

> > > I'm not aware of any other diff viewers. The question is: What exactly
> > > should a diff viewer do? Just display the diff with some jump
> > > forward/backward using some highlighting? That should be easily doable
> > > with kate.
> > >
> > > Or what else do you have in mind?
> >
> > Yes. I meant the picture at
> > http://www.caffeinated.me.uk/kompare/
> >
> > Kate can't do that right?
>
> No, then I misunderstood you. I thought you just wanted to display a
> unified diff, but you actually want to display the differences between
> old and new version of a file (wether old comes from svn repo or not).

Oops, sorry. I should have been more clear.
I meant the unified diff, since vcs programs only offers unified diffs.
The point was that I need graphical displayer as seen in the picture.

> I suggest to look into the 3way-kompare branch, thats mentioned on that
> page and talk to the author wether he wants to make the diff-algorithm
> and the widget into a shared library (or even kpart). That would allow
> us to use it directly, else I think we need to either copy the code or
> re-implement a 3-way-diff/merge widget. We need one in the vcs library
> for the merge() stuff.

Do we really need kparts or .so for these program? Why don't we
just run them with KProcess? After all diff output is so long that
dockwidget is not enough to display them. Only full screen is meaningful.