KDevelop UI

Roberto Raggi roberto at kdevelop.org
Thu Jul 19 19:15:19 UTC 2007

Il giorno 19/lug/07, alle ore 20:45, Andreas Pakulat ha scritto:
> You mean the standard Qt dockwidget-effects when dragging dockwidgets?
> Or what else?
no I mean I want to show a little preview of the "embedded view"
while dragging

>>    - docking
>>    - animations
>>    - transparent views
>
> Wouldn't that be better done by the windowmanager with things like
> composite? I mean it should be much faster than things done with plain
> Qt...

no, the window manager can do it only for top level widgets. You need
to use Qt for child widgets.

>>    - eclipse-like views
>
> What do you mean with that? I mean Eclipse views are not that
> different
> from plain Qt dockwidgets, except that you can have fast-views
> which you

well, they are a bit different. For instance, you maximize a view
with a double click on a titlebar (I love it) and you have perspectives.

> Well, I like Qt4 dockwidgets, especially being able to drag them
> around
> and group them with tabs and having multiple groups in the same area,
> being able to float them as toplevel widget...
> One thing I especially dislike about the standard dockwidgets is that
>
> a) they don't change from horizontal to vertical title automatically
> b) you can't dynamically decide to which docking area the corners
> belong
>
> I know both of these might not be fixable outside Qt, I just wanted to
> note them down.

I like Qt dock widgets too, I think they are great. But, I'm not not
sure I want to use dock widgets in an IDE.

>> btw as I said before I will do some more prototyping today. Just let
>> me know what you would like to see in the final version. The license
>> is MIT.
>
> Ok, here's one change we'd need: Another license :P MIT is not allowed
> for libraries, only LGPL or BSD without advertisement clause.
> kdevplatform has to follow kdelibs policies.

I don't know what you are talking about. MIT is compatible with GPL
and LGPL. I'm already using MIT in r++ and kdev-pg and   *you* are
using MIT too. Look at the copyright header of qmake.g

> Oh, and another one: Documentation for the API ;)

sure

ciao robe