[KDev3.4] Adding additional but *important* message to stable branch

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jul 18 17:08:58 UTC 2007

On 18.07.07 01:05:19, dukju ahn wrote:
> 2007/7/17, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> > On 17.07.07 05:29:20, dukju ahn wrote:
> > > Recently I read a bugreport that subversion plugin in 3.4 doesn't work
> > > on svn+ssh protocol. The problem is not our code, but the user's lack
> > > of proper knowledge of ssh+svn.
> > >
> > > To use svn+ssh from any GUI svn client, users should have running
> > > daemon of ssh-agent, set environment variable "DISPLAY" and
> > > "SSH_ASKPASS", and finally install "ssh-askpass" program. Also,
> > > if users run kdevelop with terminal, password asking phrase will appear
> > > on that terminal. Users without such knowledge will just think that
> > > "its bug of kdevelop" and we will loose fame.
> > >
> > > My plan is to dispaly such
> > > instructions into vcs selecting project setting page.
> > >
> > > Is it allowed?
> >
> > No, unless you get the Ok from the i18n people and maybe also the Ok
> > from release team is required (not sure about that one). And you should
> > probably formulate the text you want to display before that.
>
> If i18n people disagree, why not release without any translation??

Then we have to move kdevelop again I think. The fact is:
branches/KDE/3.5 is deep frozen, so you can't make any i18n changes
there unless the i18n team gives you an ok.

> I think bug freeness is more important than translation. In svn+ssh case,
> it is considered as bug by users although it's not a bug.

But as you say, you don't solve any bug with that message. In fact the
bugreport can be closed as invalid because its not a bug in KDevelop.

I'd rather see an entry in the FAQ for svn+ssh than some text
"somewhere" in the IDE (think about people that use svn+ssh on the new
project wizard, you want to add the message there too??). IMHO this
information doesn't belong into the user interface, but into the
documentation (and the FAQ comes close to that).

> And who is release team exactly? Wasn't Matt maintainer of kdevelop?

I meant the kde-release mailinglist and yes Matt is the maintainer of
KDevelop.

You will be run over by a beer truck.