Adding QtDesigner custom widget plugin for KConfigXT

dukju ahn dukjuahn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 07:26:01 UTC 2007

2007/7/8, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> On 08.07.07 16:23:15, Adam Treat wrote:
> > It is really simple.  The idea was that the user would have the ability to set
> > all environment options in one place and all external processes of KDevelop
> > would use it.  Doesn't mean you still couldn't allow multi setups.
>
> IMHO thats unifying too much. We have multiple projects in KDevelop and
> thus some things will not work correctly when set in a
> global-env-widget, for example QTDIR above. Or as I recently saw in IRC:
> QMAKESPEC pointing to qt3 when building a Qt4 project (as QMake doesn't
> check wether the specs used are for qt3 or qt4).

It seems that Adam was not against the env settings per project.
What he said is that env settings PER project should be set in one
setting page. He said "all environment" but his intention might be
"all environment per project".
But I'm against the concept of unifying every env vars in one place.

> > Anyway, it is up to you guys since I won't be coding it besides what is
> > already there, but as a user of KDevelop, I'd really like it if I could set
> > my environment once and be sure that all processes will use it.  Makes it
> > brain-dead easy for the user to understand what so and so plugin is actually
> > doing.
>
> Plugins have configuration dialogs to be configured, there's generally
> no need for env vars there. Or better said: if the plugin runs an
> external process it should provide proper configuration for any env vars
> a user might want to set on that process.

I agree.
Env vars for plugin process and builder/debugger env vars could be
different. Plugins should provide its own env setting page and that's
why we will put env setting widget in platform/util.