Local Project File [Re: Extending the IProjectFileManager interface]

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 6 15:17:28 UTC 2007

Jens Herden wrote:
>> Have your users requested to put those files somewhere deeper inside
>> the project tree or outside the project tree completely? I'm not
>> against the idea, but I'd like to understand more why users want to
>> put their project files somewhere outside the project itself.
>
> Outside of the tree. I have heard this together with the wish to have remote
> projects. So the project is on some server but the project file is local. We
> never recommend this, we always recommend VCS or a working copy and upload.
> But we keep getting this questions.
> So basicly they want to work directly via FTP on the webserver :-(
> I know it is wrong but I tend to think that I am not responsible if people
> screw up their work so I would like to see this option in the future.

I don't think remote projects is an unreasonable request. In my work I
have projects that must be built on a remote machine. It would be good
to be able to work on them with a modern KDevelop that isn't crippled by
X-over-ssh halfway across the continent.

That said, I think "performance" would be the only reason I'd want to
keep the project files (really just the pcs) local in this instance.

--
Matthew
"Resistance is futile" -- Borg