Local Project File [Re: Extending the IProjectFileManager interface]

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jul 6 09:34:04 UTC 2007

On 05.07.07 21:30:22, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Jul 5, 2007, at 7:09 PM, Jens Herden wrote:
> > I also think that the current code assumes that the project file
> > and the local
> > file must be in the top folder of the project. This was written
> > differently
> > in the wiki. We have had in the past many complains about this
> > restriction,
> > our users wanted to be free to put the project file wherever they
> > want. I
> > think it would not be difficult to add and optional root folder of the
> > project in the *.kdev4 file. In case this entry is absent we could
> > fall back
> > to the current assumption that the project is where the *.kdev4
> > file is.
>
> Have your users requested to put those files somewhere deeper inside
> the project tree or outside the project tree completely? I'm not
> against the idea, but I'd like to understand more why users want to
> put their project files somewhere outside the project itself.

Well, one reason that I've heard recently (with KDev3) is to separate
project files and version controlled sources. Now this is not true
anymore as the project.kdev4 can be shared through vcs. Some people
might still prefer a project file outside the project dir though.

> Do other IDEs allow this? (Just curious)

Not in Eclipse. It even stuffs arbitrary local things into the
files that are needed to be shared to have a working project from a svn
checkout.

Visual studio afaik does allow to store the solution file and its
dependendant files in any arbitrary place.

Someone is speaking well of you.

How unusual!