Local Project File [Re: Extending the IProjectFileManager interface]

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Fri Jul 6 02:30:22 UTC 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 7:09 PM, Jens Herden wrote:

> On Friday 06 July 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> On 06.07.07 00:26:40, Jens Herden wrote:
>>> But what makes me worry is that Andras and I were discussing that
>>> we want
>>> to save the information which files belong to the project into the
>>> *.kdev4 file that is shared.
>>
>> I think that doesn't fit our scheme. The .kdev4 and local-kdev4
>> are for
>> storing various settings and such things. They are not supposed to be
>> used for storing information about which files belong to the project.
>>
>>> How can we do this if we can not write? And how is a project
>>> created at the beginning if you can not write from the platform?
>>
>> By copying it into the project directory. See
>> kdevelop/plugins/appwizard and kdevelop/languages/cpp/app_templates/
>>
>>> We have a wizard for new projects in Quanta and this one should of
>>> course be able to create a *.kdev4 file without creating the ini-
>>> file
>>> manually.
>>
>> Copy it from a template.
>
> OK, I checked code and wiki. Apparently I have missed part of the
> discussion
> around this stuff. From what I can see now Quanta would not be able
> to use
> this stuff like it is.
> I also think that the current code assumes that the project file
> and the local
> file must be in the top folder of the project. This was written
> differently
> in the wiki. We have had in the past many complains about this
> restriction,
> our users wanted to be free to put the project file wherever they
> want. I
> think it would not be difficult to add and optional root folder of the
> project in the *.kdev4 file. In case this entry is absent we could
> fall back
> to the current assumption that the project is where the *.kdev4
> file is.
>
> Jens

Have your users requested to put those files somewhere deeper inside
the project tree or outside the project tree completely? I'm not
against the idea, but I'd like to understand more why users want to
put their project files somewhere outside the project itself.

Do other IDEs allow this? (Just curious)
--
Matt