Future of teamwork plugin

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu Jul 5 20:57:01 UTC 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> Sorry I think I'm missing something. KDE's svn commit policy
> explicitly states that there should be no changes done that have been
> objected to.

I am around for about 5 years and never heard about such policy. :) To
be more concerte, there might be such policy for parts of KDE, but the
KDE svn is so huge, with lot of projects and so on, there simply cannot
be such a global policy there.
If KDevelop wants to follow such a policy, that is fine for me, and I
will accept such decisions.
 Just you know, there are always problems with policies. What if a code
gets committed without getting objections (maybe because it was simply
not reviewed), and after a while people (lets say 4 people) start
objecting to that code, but two other are objecting to the objection.
Will it remain or will it get removed? And this question is not that
theoretical.

And now to the teamwork code, and I will say why I don't like where it
is. This will be my last statement on this issue, as from my point of
view I see no reason to fight with each other:

1. Because as it seems it will be unmaitained.
2. Because the code looks to complex and sometimes scary to be
maintained by other persons and so far noone stepped up who will say,
that he will do.
3. Because it is big compared to other plugins from the platform. (1.4MB
source for teamwork, 600KB for the rest of 9 plugins).
4. Because might not be that useful for the generic audience (e.g single
developers, developers working with vcs systems). Having for those who
need accessbile in an easy way is something I support very much, though
as I have no problem with this teamwork idea!
5. Because it depends on boost and I don't like to have Quanta depend on
it.
6. Because it has a copy of libdiff2.

Some of them for me are "showstoppers", with others I could live with
it.
You can agree or disagree with me, that will not make a difference with
the fact that this is how I see kdevplatform & teamwork now.

Andras