Local Project File [Re: Extending the IProjectFileManager interface]

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jul 5 20:46:15 UTC 2007

On 05.07.07 22:20:40, Jens Herden wrote:
> On Thursday 05 July 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 05.07.07 14:02:56, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > > I mean, in
> > > KDevelop3 and Quanta3 there is the project file and a project session
> > > file (yeah, this is a better name). Theoretically the project file
> > > contains only information that are relevant for all developers, while
> > > the session file is specific for the current developer. Propertis IMO
> > > can go in both files, as they might be shearable or not.
> >
> > No they can't, the project file is read-only because a
> > read-write-approach didn't work out. So now project-default-config is
> > read from the project-file, but storing is always done into the
> > local-file (or session file, whatever you call it).
>
> Now I am confused very much. Do you mean we have one *.kdev4 file which is
> read-only (which is supposed to be in a VCS) and one
> <project>/.kdev4/<projectname>.kdev4 which is read-write (which is supposed
> to be _not_ in a VCS)?

Yes, thats what I meant. This has been this way ever since Adam (IIRC)
created the code. The only difference between then and now is that the
user can't choose which file to store the settings to. Reason for that
is a discussion held on this list some time in March (IIRC), where the
outcome was that allowing the user to choose is not working.

It is so very hard to be an
on-your-own-take-care-of-yourself-because-there-is-no-one-else-to-do-it-for-you
grown-up.