Extending the IProjectFileManager interface

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Tue Jul 3 18:10:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

 we are discussing here with Jens the need of storing certain
information for each file inside the project. One case in Quanta would
be storing information about uploads (to the web server): when the file
was last uploaded, should it be uploaded or not at all, should it be
uploaded without asking the user for confirmation.
I can imagine that other plugins would also like to store information
about a file belonging to the project.
 Our idea was to store such information in the project configuration
file (the "local" one if such exists now, not the one that is shared
between users).
 I'm writing this mail to ask feedback about how do you think we should
go on. The solution are:
1) Extend IProjectFileManager with the needed methods (probably
something like writeProperty(ProjectItem*, key, value) and
readProperty(ProjectItem*, key) ). The IProjectFileManager would
contain a default implementation for these methods, so there is no need
to reimplement them in every project file manager, unless there is a
need for a different behavior. Our way of implementing this would be
storing every file as a group (in the KConfig object) and add the
key/value pairs to it.

2) Write our own little plugin which does the above and put it in either
Quanta (so only Quanta plugins would benefit of this), or in
kdevplatform.

Andras