KDev4 SDK Single or Multiple Projects?

cedric cedric.borgese at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 22:23:07 UTC 2007

Hello, I'm not a developer of kdevelop, just an user and I want to give my
point of view on that subject because it is a really important point for me.

In my job, I work on an app with many plugins, the point here is that plugins
are separate projects, so I can have a session debug with only the main
application, or with two plugins loaded, 5 plugins, ...
In some branch, I can only build the main app with 2 or 3 plugins, but in
other, alls plugins are enabled, build and functional and I must work with
all of them.
What I mean here is that if kdevelop implements multiple project capabilities
for loading 2 projects, of course it is useless, but when you have 10, 15 or
event 20 related project, having the possibilities to load all of them in
your editor, work on only one plugin, build it, see that something doesn't
work anymore in another plugin (because dependencies are built) fix this,
launch the main app in debug mode, stop it, lauch the second app that can use
plugins, ...
This is a nightmare with multiple instances of the IDE.

MSVC implements that since version 6 or before, it is know as workspace and
it's really usefull. So I think it's a really missing feature here and
kdevelop should have this.
It is an Integrated Development Environment, this mean all you need is
integrated in your environement, and not in 15 environements... because in
that case, you can use kdevelop to edit your code, kate to edit your
makefiles, make in a terminal to build, debug with gdb in a console, .. who
care ? we can switch of application if want multiple utils ! alt-tab is for
that !!! and in all cases, gdb, kate and make are run in kdevelop, so no
extra memory is used...
But if kdevelop was created, it is to simplify the task of the developer ! And
I know I'm not alone in that case, in many companies, poeple works on
multiple related projects that cannot be not merged in one.

So please reconsider the question of multiple projects in one instance !