KDev4 SDK Single or Multiple Projects?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jan 31 15:09:10 UTC 2007

On 31.01.07 13:17:03, Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> On 1/31/07, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> Note also that some "related projects" actually become *harder* to
> work with within the same IDE instance. For example: a client/server
> system communicating via some IPC system.. how would you debug both
> client and server within one IDE instance? Multiple simultaneous
> debugging sessions?

Uhm, didn't we say that we need to support more complex run/debug stuff?
So I don't think this is a valid reason against multiple projects. You'd
just start the server in debug mode and then the client too.

Also note that debugging a client/server is not different than debugging
2 apps that are created in the same project at the same time.

> Having more than one language support system loaded at a time could be
> a good thing. Different languages often use different build systems,
> however, and by the time we support multiple build systems within one
> project.. we probably have everything multiple projects need anyway.

Well, if we want to allow that. However that is going to be really hard.
We'd have to start storing more and more metadata about the project,
like which project directory uses which buildsystem. IMHO its easier to
implement multiple kdevelop-projects each with 1 buildsystem than doing
what you suggest here.

> > Also I'm not sure what type of system you have but on my laptop
> > switching between 2 kdevelop instances is considerably slower than
> > opening another file in an already running instance.
>
> Wow, you must be short on memory!

Well, I don't think 1GB is really short.

> Also, the relevant thing with reference to "speed" is if switching
> between two project in one app instance would be faster than switching
> between two app instance mainwindows. If anything beyond the most
> trival state needs to be changed, I'm betting a mainwindow switch is
> faster...

The way I imagine it currently there's no switching of projects at all,
except that there would be 1 active project which would get all the
signals from main-toolbar-actions.

The only thing that I don't really know how hard it would be is the
language part. I mean I don't really know how closely tied it is to 1
project. Refactoring would work inside 1 file, code-completion and
outline view as well. Refactoring of classes/files/modules/subprojects
would be done on the project manager.

You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading
this sort of trash.