RFC: KDevelop4 icons, what do we want/need?

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Wed Jan 31 01:45:27 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, 30. January 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>       ? 'resume'
>                 opposite of 'pause' (i.e. 'not restart')
>                 IDEAS: pause with circle+slash
>                 (should become 'media-playback-resume')

While I'm not so sure anymore if using the media-playlist-repeat icon
for 'restart' (because it's a status icon, not an action icon like the other
ones), I do believe that 'resume' should be the plain standard 'play' icon,
for the following reasons:

- One icon less that needs to be drawn.
- Seriously, I think that it's pure hell to find an analogy that fits.
  What I'm saying is, the icon won't be intuitively recognized as Resume,
  because there is no good icon for this action other than 'play'.
- When 'resume' is displayed, 'execute' is not, so there are no two buttons
  with the same icon.
- The 'play' icon for the 'resume' action is also well-known from the
  audio/video/whatever-media playback world. Using well-known analogies
  is a good thing.

Please consider my reasoning.
I'm still unsure about 'restart', I'll be making my mind up about that one.

Good night,
  Jakob