Multi Project Gui [was: KDev4 SDK Single or Multiple Projects?]

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Jan 30 20:56:26 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 21:46, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 30.01.07 21:18:21, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 January 2007 11:21, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > On 29.01.07 18:30:37, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > > So lets talk about Gui's for multiple projects. One way would be to
> > > extend the project model and have the projects as top-level items.
> > > Which is kind of the same thing as eclipse does, only that we don't
> > > need a workspace for that.
> >
> > I never understood what the "Workspace" in Eclipse is. Neither I
> > understand the difference between dsp and dsw files in MSVC.
>
> Well, its a meta-project-thingie, i.e. its the container for all your
> projects. Although I have to agree that there's no point in having such
> a thing, IMHO.

The name "group of projects" is until now the one and only name for such a
thing I understand. "Workspace" doesn't tell me anything.

> > Last week I found "Programmers Notepad" (http://www.pnotepad.org/), which
> > is somewhere between Kate and KDevelop.
> > There you have projects and you can have also a "group of projects". This
> > is easy to understand: a project has a working dir, a list of
> > files/directories and some settings. A group of projects just opens
> > several projects at once and in a tree view you select the active one.
> > You can open either the "group of projects" file, or you can open the
> > contained projects separately.
>
> Does the treeview of projects also contain the files/dirs of that
> project? Or is it just for the projects themselves?

Also the files/dirs.
You open one project in the tree view and see all files/dirs belonging to that
project (this doesn't have to equal the "physical" directory structure on
disk).

> > Another thing:
> > with CMake you can define "projects" in several ways.
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure what Matt has in mind wrt to the project() call.
>
> > So in this sense it might feel better to have a "group of projects" for
> > one source tree managed by one cmake, and also separate smaller projects.
>
> Uhm, a KDevelop project won't have kdevelop subprojects. Of course we
> can have the subprojects specially highlighted in the tree view.

But a "group of kdevelop projects" could have kdevelop subprojects ;-)

Bye
Alex