Multi Project Gui [was: KDev4 SDK Single or Multiple Projects?]

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 30 20:49:33 UTC 2007

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> I never understood what the "Workspace" in Eclipse is. Neither I understand
> the difference between dsp and dsw files in MSVC.

Then you have clearly not worked with MSVC programs that depend on
libraries that are part of the overall product? To use a UNIX-world
example, 'readline' and 'bash' might be projects, and the 'bash'
workspace would include both. Then other "products" might also use the
'readline' library. This made it easy to change readline, and have the
action of building bash automatically know to rebuild readline.

This isn't as bad in the UNIX world since it is far more common for a
single "project" to have multiple targets representing distinct programs
(in MSVC, at least back in v6, it was/is awkward to produce multiple
binaries - meaning different programs/libraries, not just debug vs
release - from a single project). But I can see where it might be
helpful to create greater separation, enabling individual components to
be spun off into independent (and thus, more easily re-used) libraries.

A KDE example might be to have a KDevelop workspace which has the
projects KDevelop and KDElibs (and maybe others).

(Now, it sounds like maybe you already knew some of that, so I'm also
educating anyone else reading this thread. :-))

--
Matthew
"I like to think of it as 'unplanned dissonance'" -- A fellow chorister