RFC: KDevelop4 icons, what do we want/need?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 30 20:41:20 UTC 2007

Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30. January 2007 19:16, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> distclean exists at least for qmake projects too. configure could point
>> to running cmake or even running ccmake in a terminal. qmake or custom
>> makefile projects might have a configure script too.
>
> You're right there. However, I'm asking myself if it's really necessary to
> create a separate icon for all these actions.
>
> The current toolbar is already crowded. If you look at KDevelop 3.4, you won't
> see any of 'Run Configure', 'Run autotools', 'Install', 'Install (as root)'
> and 'Make Messages & Merge' somewhere else than in the menu, and rightly so.

Right, and I wasn't suggesting to add them (I was looking at menus too
when making icons).

IMO I think it's a good idea to at least list these, even if we don't
want them to have icons in the menu. After all, /someone/ might use them
often enough to want them on their toolbar. :-) But they should stay as
'don't do yet' until/unless decided otherwise. See also Andreas'
comments. :-)

> So, here's my modified version.
> I dropped 'run autotools', and I'd really like to also drop
> 'configure', 'distclean', 'install' and 'install (as root)'.
> They're still in here for completeness's sake.

I incorporated your suggestions (except I'd like to keep 'run autotools'
etc in the 'don't do yet' category), and also refactored the list to
hopefully make it easier to read. I am going to try to split this up
into two parts before committing so the refactor and your changes are
separate, but I'd also be interested in any further comments you have.

Btw, can you use an editor that preserves the tabs next time?
KATE/KWrite is of course preferred. :-)

> I think we still need more
> (think of all the plugins, and the code completion icons), and I'll add them
> in the next few days.

Naturally, we're just getting started. :-) Thanks for the help!

--
Matthew
"I like to think of it as 'unplanned dissonance'" -- A fellow chorister