Multi Project Gui [was: KDev4 SDK Single or Multiple Projects?]

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Jan 30 20:18:21 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 11:21, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 29.01.07 18:30:37, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > On Jan 29, 2007, at 6:04 PM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Option 2:
> > >
> > > Multiple projects per App instance, this would need a major change in
> > > the project controller and it would also need a Ui element to display
> > > the list of projects
> >
> > Multiple projects is what has been planned from the very beginning.
>
> Oh, ok. Wasn't aware :) (Although maybe I asked you already on IRC)
>
> So lets talk about Gui's for multiple projects. One way would be to
> extend the project model and have the projects as top-level items. Which
> is kind of the same thing as eclipse does, only that we don't need a
> workspace for that.

I never understood what the "Workspace" in Eclipse is. Neither I understand
the difference between dsp and dsw files in MSVC.

Last week I found "Programmers Notepad" (http://www.pnotepad.org/), which is
somewhere between Kate and KDevelop.
There you have projects and you can have also a "group of projects". This is
easy to understand: a project has a working dir, a list of files/directories
and some settings. A group of projects just opens several projects at once
and in a tree view you select the active one.
You can open either the "group of projects" file, or you can open the
contained projects separately.

Another thing:
with CMake you can define "projects" in several ways.
Currently for every CMakeLists.txt which contains a PROJECT() command a
kdevelop project file is generated. Such a project can contain many targets
(executables, libs, others). One could also define that the whole tree
managed by one cmake is one project (i.e. every KDE module is one project).
This makes for *really* big projects.
So in this sense it might feel better to have a "group of projects" for one
source tree managed by one cmake, and also separate smaller projects.

Bye
Alex

P.S. thanks for mentioning me in the ueber-cool KDevelop 3.4 features
pdf ! :-)