RFC: KDevelop4 icons, what do we want/need?

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Tue Jan 30 16:56:09 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, 30. January 2007 13:25, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 January 2007 15:00, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> > That in mind, I can think of two possible approaches for KDevelop:
> >
> > - Start Debugging changes to Pause when the program is running.
> >   Restart is dropped completely, the user is required to first select
> > Stop, then Start Debugging.
>
> This won't work, as Stop kills gdb and Restart does not, so:
>
> 	1. You don't need to reload gdb from scratch
> 	2. There's no swtich from debugger "perspective" to code
> 	editing "perspective" and back.

Ok, so we need to keep Restart. How about that one:

- The Debugging toolbar stays like it is, only that Start (proper name:
  "Execute in debug mode") changes to Interrupt when the program is started,
  and to Resume when the program is interrupted.

Which would mean that we need a Restart icon indeed.

Completely unrelated to the icon issue:
I would very much welcome it if the Build toolbar's "Execute main program" and
the Debugger toolbar's "Runs the program in the debugger" get merged into one
button for KDevelop 4, maybe with an arrow that reveals "Execute" and
"Execute in debug mode", the latter one being the default.

Wishes,
  Jakob