Builders in kdev4

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Fri Jan 19 18:59:16 UTC 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 9:55 am, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to ask this for some time now, but always got distracted. If I
> understand the current API correctly for QMake, CMake or any other
> buildsystems to work properly we need to implement a ProjectBuilder. For
> example for qmake it would call qmake on certain occasions.
>
> What I don't see at the moment: How to avoid code-duplication, I mean a
> QMakeBuilder would only run qmake once per project or eventually on
> special occassions, but normally its much the same as the existing
> MakeBuilder. So how should this be working, subclass the MakeBuilder?
> (it does provide virtuals so that would be possible) Link to it and call
> its methods?
>
> Andreas, who won't implement the qmakebuilder anytime soon, but as we
> are discussing API at the moment ;)

It depends. I see two options.

Option 1: We could have the build managers manage their respective build
systems (so qmake build manager would handle qmake invokations, cmake build
manager would handle cmake invokations, etc.)

Option 2: We allow builder chains. So for a QMake project, we would have two
builders. A QMake builder and a Make builder. The build manager would then
set up a chain such that (when needed) the qmake builder is run and then the
make builder is run. Neither builder knows about the other. The build manager
takes care of knowing which builders are needed.

Thanks
--
Matt