Some questions regarding development for KDE3

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jan 17 19:31:53 UTC 2007

On 17.01.07 12:15:07, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> (context: http://lists.kde.org/?t=116902817900003&r=1&w=2)
>
> Paulo Jorge Guedes wrote:
> > Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >> First of all, there are shortcuts you can assign for tab-navigation,
> >> for example here I can switch forward/backward through the open tabs
> >> via Shift+Left/Right.
>
> Doesn't that break text selection? :-)

Ooops, ist Alt+left/right actually, like kate :)

> > Yes, but it ends up not to be very useful as a lot of times "neighbor"
> > tabs have no relation with each other.
>
> ...which reminds me, why doesn't KDevelop support tab rearranging, ala
> Firefox, or at least ala Konsole?

Because nobody implemented it and because kdevelop doesn't store it atm
anyway (the order is the order of opened files)

> > I don't know about others but I feel the ctrl-tab behavior is crucial
> > to my productivity. I like to switch files like I switch windows in my
> > (standard) window manager. If you consider this sensible I could post an
> > issue into b.k.o...
>
> Given I /usually/ don't have so many windows that I can't see all the
> tabs (are you not using the tabbed interface, btw?),

Yes I am, Jens Dagerbo claims to have open 60 files regularly and thus
cannot use tabbed mode, he uses the document list or quick open...

> I don't generally have a problem. If it were me, I might go ahead and
> file an RFE anyway.  Better yet, file an RFE with a patch attached.
> :-)

As I said, patches sent between now and freeze for 3.4.1 may go in given
the change is useful for more than 1 person and not some ugly instable
hack. We'll have a lifted freeze once 3.4.0 is released. (i.e. tarballs
available)

You have many friends and very few living enemies.