debugger attention patch

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at swipnet.se
Thu Jan 4 18:50:11 UTC 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 08:21, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Thursday 04 January 2007 09:36, Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> > I've long wished that KDevelop would let me know when the debugger has
> > stopped on a breakpoint, if I don't have the KDevelop window visible
> > (which is typically the case when debugging an app maximized).
> >
> > Well.. aseigo happend to stumble by #kdevelop, and I took the opportunity
> > to leech a critical bit of API knowledge from him and subsequently came
> > up with this patch.
> >
> > It's a short trivial thing, but it really improves the usability of the
> > debugger for the above usecase. When the debugger stops on a breakpoint,
> > and KDevelop doesn't have focus, the KDevelop taskbar entry flashes. It
> > only handles breakpoints.. but if there is any other case where the
> > debugger needs attention, it's probably easily added there as well.
> >
> > I don't know the debugger code very well, but it seems correct, and works
> > well, so unless someone (Vladimir) objects, I'd like to commit it. :)
>
> Hi Jens,
>
> I think this is great patch -- I noticed this "silent debugger stop" but
> also lacked the API knowledge.
>
> One question though -- is it necessary to have 'maybe' in
> 'maybeDemandAttention'. For me, 'maybe' means that it figures out if
> attention should be demanded. In practice, it always demands attention is
> at all possible.

Yeah.. I named it "maybe.." before I implemented it, thinking I had to check
if we were active first.. but apparently the kdelibs implementation takes
care of this, so.. less code for us. :) I kept "maybe.." in the name to hint
that it only demands attention if needed, but that's probably better
explained in a brief description.

> Ah, and can you please add a comment, however brief, to the function
> declaration?

Will do.

// jejns