debugger attention patch

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Thu Jan 4 07:21:51 UTC 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 09:36, Jens Dagerbo wrote:

> I've long wished that KDevelop would let me know when the debugger has stopped
> on a breakpoint, if I don't have the KDevelop window visible (which is
> typically the case when debugging an app maximized).
>
> Well.. aseigo happend to stumble by #kdevelop, and I took the opportunity to
> leech a critical bit of API knowledge from him and subsequently came up with
> this patch.
>
> It's a short trivial thing, but it really improves the usability of the
> debugger for the above usecase. When the debugger stops on a breakpoint, and
> KDevelop doesn't have focus, the KDevelop taskbar entry flashes. It only
> handles breakpoints.. but if there is any other case where the debugger needs
> attention, it's probably easily added there as well.
>
> I don't know the debugger code very well, but it seems correct, and works
> well, so unless someone (Vladimir) objects, I'd like to commit it. :)

Hi Jens,

I think this is great patch -- I noticed this "silent debugger stop" but also lacked
the API knowledge.

One question though -- is it necessary to have 'maybe' in 'maybeDemandAttention'.
For me, 'maybe' means that it figures out if attention should be demanded. In practice,
it always demands attention is at all possible.

Ah, and can you please add a comment, however brief, to the function declaration?

Thanks a lot!

- Volodya

If I understand correctly, the function always try