Popup windows in auto-complete

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Feb 25 21:19:53 UTC 2007

On 25.02.07 12:21:33, Nick Savoiu wrote:
> --- Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On 24.02.07 19:32:46, Nick Savoiu wrote:
> > > Are they children of the editor window?
> > Yes they are.
>
> Hmm. Then shouldn't that enforce the proper Z-ordering
> for windows?

Not necessarily, you also have some message boxes in other apps that pop
into the forground once and take focus.

> > > Because if I type something and quickly (alt+tab)
> > switch away to  window X (that obscures the KDevelop
> > window) then the auto-complete popup window appears
> > on top of window X and also steals focus.
> >
> > Right, so don't do it ;)
>
> The problem is that I don't always have to switch away
> quickly. I've noticed in 3.4 that often autocomplete
> locks up the whole editor UI for 10-15 seconds so I

Yeah, we really need to make it much faster for global-scope-lookups in
4.0.

> switch away to something else instead of waiting for
> autocomplete to popup the window.

Turn off autocompletion and use the keyboard shortcut. Thats what I and
the other kdevelop developers do, it just gets in one's way too often...

You're being followed.  Cut out the hanky-panky for a few days.