If you're not working on KDevelop 4, you should be

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Feb 20 17:54:03 UTC 2007

On 20.02.07 18:19:15, Amilcar do Carmo Lucas wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 February 2007 16:59:14 Andras Mantia wrote:
> > I don't understand this. So what if somebody comes up with bugfixes?
> If somebody comes with bugfixes for KDevelop 3.3.x, those fixes can be
> integrated in the KDevelop 3.3.x branch (KDE/3.5)
>
> If somebody comes with bugfixes for KDevelop 3.4.x, those fixes can be
> integrated in the KDevelop 3.4.x branch

Well, what about bugfixes for 3.3 that eventually need porting to 3.4 or
vice versa? Currently none of the developers backports fixes to 3.3, its
dead since at least the time I joined.

> I think it makes sense to keep the branches separated altough there will no
> longer be KDevelop 3.3.x releases.
> But KDevelop 3.3.x is still important because it has a very low KDE
> requirement, it can be used in older computers.

Uhm, I don't think that distro's with KDE 3.2 ship KDevelop3.3. Apart
from the fact that KDE 3.4 wasn't a problem on my PIII/500, so I don't
think that people with "older" computers have a reason to not upgrade

> > think the solution is to merge 3.4 into the KDE 3.5 branch, so
> > everytime a new KDE 3.5.x is released, a new KDevelop is released with
> > fixes.
> We can still, and will still release KDevelop 3.4.x with new KDE releases.

But that is extra work and I think we will have distro's that in the
future still deliver KDevelop3.3 instead of 3.4 because its "part of
KDE3.5".

> > But if it simply gets
> > tagged and released together with KDE, I see no problem: if somebody
> > wants to take care of it, why not?
>
> Apaku and I found a way to release translated versions of KDevelop 3.4.x
> branch.
> We now just have to "sell" the idea to coolo.

I may be wrong, but I think that interferes with the 3.3 translations,
so unless we completely drop 3.3 we shouldn't do that (I talked to annma
yesterday on IRC about how the translations stuff will work). And if we
drop 3.3, then we can as well move 3.4 into KDE/3.5/

So to conclude: 3.3 is basically dead, 3.4 has no translations and
creating translations for it will interfere withe 3.3 messages. Doing
releases on our own requires work from us. I'd say this tells us we
should talk to coolo about merging 3.4 into KDE/3.5

You will hear good news from one you thought unfriendly to you.