KDE/kdevelop/languages/cpp/debugger

Kris Wong wongk at seapine.com
Fri Dec 14 13:27:26 UTC 2007

> PS: An easy way of connecting a type with a way to
> print/display that type in
> the variable tree is something that has been requested from users over
> and over again and many of them pointed at MSVC which does
> allow exactly
> this.

It certainly does.  The debugger uses a configuration file that has entries in it similar to:

QString=<d->data,su> size=<d->size,u>
QByteArray=<d->data,s> size=<d->size,u>
QUrl=<d->encodedOriginal.d->data,s>
QUrlInfo=<d->name.d->data,su>
QPoint=x=<xp> y=<yp>
QPointF=x=<xp> y=<yp>

Where each pair is composed of <member,type>.  And lets not forget the best feature of the VS debugger, which I know is planned for kdevelop at some point, hovering the mouse cursor over a variable to see its current value (which works for complex types as well).

Kris Wong