KDE/kdevelop/languages/cpp

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Dec 7 13:07:06 UTC 2007

On 07.12.07 10:19:56, David Nolden wrote:
> On Friday 07 December 2007 02:43:12 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 07.12.07 00:00:46, David Nolden wrote:
> > > Currently works only with up to 9 local variables(because of chosen
> > > hardcoded colors, that btw. still need some tuning).
> >
> > I guess you're aware of this, but better safe than sorry: Hardcoded
> > colors need to vanish before the first beta.
>
> I don't know. The important thing is that we get as many colors as possible,
> that they are as distinguishable as possible. So the hard-coded colors
> actually are a linear choice from all available colors, with a distance from
> each other that makes them still distinguishable, and with the same
> brightness for all of them. I don't know what we should compute automatically
> about this. Maybe it would make sense, so we could make configurable how many
> colors there are(and thus how distinguishable they are, and how many
> different variables can be highlighted). A thing we might need to do is
> transforming them so they are very bright if the editor background-color is
> black.

I'm not sure I understand everything there. I had thought of a simple
color dialog where you can just add colors to a list, which would get
used for variable highlighting.

I'm not sure complete auto-computing colors works, Matthew Woehlke or
Fredrik Hoeglund would be the ones to ask about that.

Also having too many colors might pose a usability problem as well, i.e.
making the code itself harder readable. I haven't tested your changes,
so this is just me thinking out loud.

You now have Asian Flu.