[KDev4] buildtools/builder API suggestion.

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Apr 29 13:44:21 UTC 2007

On 29.04.07 08:30:54, dukju ahn wrote:
> I'm working on CustomMakeManager. The problem is that
> IProjectBuilder::build() api is not reusable for CustomMakeManager
>
> in IProjectBuilder, the only interfaces are
>
>     virtual bool build(ProjectBaseItem *dom) = 0;
>     virtual bool clean(ProjectBaseItem *dom) = 0;
>
> The problem is that we cannot specify build target or
> build directory using ProjectBaseItem.

So? From the project base item you can fetch the project and find the
builddir. If a project manager wants to allow building of a specific
target it should do so by additions to the context menu.

> If we see the implementation
> in MakeBuilder::build(), dom is casted into ProjectItem, which
> doesn't contain any information of target or build directory. So
> MakeBuilder just executes "make" with no target in top project dir.

Of course, because nobody made it more intelligent yet.

> Why don't we specify targets as an additional argument?

Because not all project builders know what a target is.

If you need to customize an interface create a subclass and add new
methods. Then have a plugin implement these.

You have no real enemies.