Test for CVS plugin

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Apr 16 12:46:35 UTC 2007

On 16.04.07 07:21:39, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Monday 16 April 2007 00:56, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > >
> > > make test is not supposed to build the tests under CMake. It never has.
> > > That's what enabling KDE4_BUILD_TESTS is for.
> >
> > AFAIK thats where you're wrong. Tests are now disabled by default and
> > IMHO that only makes sense if a make test run also builds the test.
> > Always building the tests doesn't make any sense, because that only
> > increases compile time - when you have to build multiple parts of
> > kdevelop and run make from the kdevelop top-builddir then the huge
> > amount of cmake tests that are either compiled or maybe just re-linked
> > slows down the compilation a lot.
> >
> > Andreas
>
> Right. KDE4_BUILD_TESTS has always been off by default. So the current
> situation is no different than when we started porting to CMake. But to say
> that there's been a regression in previous behavior is wrong. Currently, make
> test is not supposed to build any tests. It never has.

Well, maybe bug is a bit too much, but certainly this is undocumented
and IMHO unexpected. If I call make test to run tests I'd expect that
the buildsystem builds all tests that need building. Why should I need
to type make test1 test2 test3 ... test10000 every time (or change a
script every time a testcase is added/removed/changed).

> That is the whole reason KDE4_BUILD_TESTS exists.

Well, that define adds the test targets to the default targets which is
different from what I want (and probably others as a google search
showed). I don't want to always build+relink the tests on each
invocation of make in a certain subdir, I'd like to build the tests once
the code they test compiles and run the tests after that. Thats what
make test should do IMHO.

You may be infinitely smaller than some things, but you're infinitely
larger than others.