Test for CVS plugin

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Mon Apr 16 12:21:39 UTC 2007

On Monday 16 April 2007 00:56, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 15.04.07 18:14:23, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > On Sunday 15 April 2007 13:38, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Turns out this is a bug in CMake (according to Thiago), make test
> > > doesn't build the tests, so you have to run make <testname> first.
> > > I'll take this to the cmake guys.
> >
> > make test is not supposed to build the tests under CMake. It never has.
> > That's what enabling KDE4_BUILD_TESTS is for.
>
> AFAIK thats where you're wrong. Tests are now disabled by default and
> IMHO that only makes sense if a make test run also builds the test.
> Always building the tests doesn't make any sense, because that only
> increases compile time - when you have to build multiple parts of
> kdevelop and run make from the kdevelop top-builddir then the huge
> amount of cmake tests that are either compiled or maybe just re-linked
> slows down the compilation a lot.
>
> Andreas

Right. KDE4_BUILD_TESTS has always been off by default. So the current
situation is no different than when we started porting to CMake. But to say
that there's been a regression in previous behavior is wrong. Currently, make
test is not supposed to build any tests. It never has. That is the whole
reason KDE4_BUILD_TESTS exists.

Should 'make test' build tests? Personally, I don't care, and I see that
you've already taken this up on the kde-buildsystem list, so i imagine it'll
eventually make it's way back to the cmake folks.
--
Matt