Google SoC Project Idea: KRepo (source code repo. tool)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 12 22:11:26 UTC 2007

Hi!

Vic Fryzel wrote:
> Unfortunately, my SoC project idea was not selected.  Regardless, I'd like to
> pursue this project anyway, as I think it's very important to KDEs
> development framework.
>
> The project idea has changed a bit since my initial email.  The abstract of
> the idea officially not selected states:
>
> Cervisia: SVN and Darcs integration, KDE source code repository API
>
> The intent of this project is to extend Cervisia further to accommodate SVN
> and Darcs repository management and usage.  Additionally, a common KDE
> library/API would be created for interfacing with source code repositories,
> that is extensible.  A plugin interface may also be appropriate for Cervisia,
> so that it could connect to arbitrary source code repository softwares, based
> upon an install plugin.  The library/API and plugins would use KIO slaves for
> connection handling.  Lastly, Cervisia plugins for Quanta and KDevelop would
> be further implemented, and many related bugs fixed.

KIO = bad, but I'm not one of the ones that knows why. Anyway...

> I think this is more feasible than developing a new tool.  It may also be
> feasible to extend kdesvn.
>
> I believe there is now a Cervisia maintainer.
>
> Would anyone care to give their thoughts on which should be extended?  As I'm
> sure there are others more familiar with the code base than I, would anyone
> care to mentor me with this project?

...you *need* to come join us on kdevelop-devel* :-). We are in the
middle of a very lengthy thread[1] discussing *exactly* this matter,
developing a standard interface for VCS integration in KDevelop. The
current approach is to try to share GUI elements as much as possible,
and I have been advocating defining the interfaces in a way that makes
them conducive to being also used by a VCS-agnostic GUI. IOW,
E-X-A-C-T-L-Y what you are proposing :-).

In summary, I think your project as currently defined is a waste because
it will duplicate what KDevelop is doing, instead we would love to have
you join KDevelop and tie a nice VCS GUI into the back-ends that
KDevelop will be using.

(* http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.kdevelop - you need to
subscribe at kdevelop.kde.org to post; I'd give you a better link but I
can't get the site to come up right now.)

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.kdevelop/18148

--
Matthew
GDRLaH - Grin, Duck, and Run Like a Hippo! :-)