[RFC] Workingstyle of different VCS systems

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Apr 12 16:16:50 UTC 2007

On 12.04.07 11:49:39, Kuba Ober wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 April 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > In aegis, everything is done in a change, so the notion of a change
> > > always is there in a background. Everything that happens is manipulation
> > > of a change. A change should be thought of a working directory in your
> > > home directory.

> > > In aegis, this is a multistep process, and ends with the change not
> > > existing anymore. This has to be taken care into account.
> >
> > Well, than the plugin has to take care of this. I'm just looking for
> > "actions" that we need, not how they are implemented at the end.
>
> The problem is that after a commit, none of the files the kdevelop may need
> are there anymore.

I feared that, I think thats going to be a problem. OTOH the aegis plugin
could ask the project controller to close the project if all changed
files are comitted...

> > Uhm, not its not. This should only show a listing of the file + the name
> > of the author of each line in front of the line. Nothing more.
>
> 1. Aegis has no notion of file lines, files are just that: files, they are not
> interpreted in any way (except for the project configuration file).
> 2. You can use many different diff tools in aegis.

This is not about diffing.

> 3. If you need such a detailed history, it'd need to be something that has to
> be set up in a project-specific way, e.g. in my projects I don't have it even
> set up simply because I never needed that feature.

Aha, so aegis doesn't have a history of what part of a file was changed
by whom. Does it know who changed a file last time? I guess annotate
should be  an optional function.

As for the other comments from you: I don't have anything to add,
lock/unlock will probably part of a ILockableSCM, I think I will leave
out cleanup completely.

Good day for overcoming obstacles.  Try a steeplechase.