[KDev4] CVS plugin

Robert Gruber R.Gruber at gmx.net
Thu Apr 12 15:30:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:13:51 Matt Rogers wrote:

> 1. No documentation, unless there's some in the code, which I've yet
> to look at. An explanation of how the plugin is designed, where
> people can find things, etc. would be nice to have. Makes it easier
> for others to go looking through the code for hints, tips, and examples.
Take a look at the API documentaion, for example:
http://www.kdevelop.org/HEAD/doc/api/html/classCvsProxy.html

But I'll write down some additional pieces and commit a file with some background information.

> 2. No testing. How do we know it works? Are you sure it doesn't have
> any bugs? How do we prevent the code from regressing while developing
> it? Adding tests answers all three of those questions. Please
> consider adding some unit and/or functional tests. Qt provides a nice
> library called QTestLib for that sort of thing.
At the moment I don't see any reason nor any possibility to write
unit tests. All that the plugin does (till now) is calling the
cvs commandline client and displaying it's output.
Therefor any tests would need a connection to a CVS-server and a
checked-out working-copy of a specific repository from that server.
So if I would write and commit a test nobody else than me would be
able to execute it, as no one would have that working-copy and
nobody has access to my CVS server.

> 3. Filenames, and possibly classnames that are abbreviated. Please s/
> dlg/dialog/ in your filenames and your classnames if you followed the
> filename  = classname convention.
Done.

> 4. files with underscores in their name. please remove those.
I don't want to point the finger at somebody else, but this
seams to be common practice. Almost all plugins named the files
that implement the plugin-class *_part.[cpp|h]
That's the only reason why I did so too.
But I'll be happy to change that...

Robert