[RFC] Workingstyle of different VCS systems

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Apr 10 10:31:45 UTC 2007

> > The main practical impact here is that before you can hack on a file you
> > have to "open" it (vcs'd files are usually -w until you open them).
> > Changelist management I think is unique enough that it can be left to
> > the front end to worry about.
>
> Yes, thats exactly what I was thinking, i.e. you can't just click on a
> file in the project which opens it and then edit it. You first have to
> execute some vcs-action to do that.
>
> As aegis needs something similar I think we should try to find a way to
> execute some vcs-action before opening a file in the editor...

This would be very bad. It should be the other way around: do it if the user
elects to *save it*.

I'll usually have many files open read only. Copying file into a change (so
that it's editable) is a waste of time, because the file will have to be
recompiled even though you didn't change anything.

In your scenario, just browsing the project will populate the change with
wasteful copies of repository files.

Opening of a read-only file is OK, if you then change it and save it, it
should ask you about adding it to the change first.

Cheers, Kuba