[RFC] Workingstyle of different VCS systems

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Apr 10 10:28:37 UTC 2007

> The main practical impact here is that before you can hack on a file you
> have to "open" it (vcs'd files are usually -w until you open them).
> Changelist management I think is unique enough that it can be left to
> the front end to worry about.

In aegis it's the same, with one added caveat that the file does not exist in
your change directory, it exists somewhere else and aegis can tell you where.
I.e. a relative path of the file in a project isn't simply appended to your
working directory, it may need to be applied to some other directory
(read-only baseline for the branch or the project).

> (* you can chmod +w a file yourself, but perforce won't know you are
> editing it unless told, so it will never be committed. This can be a
> "feature", or a PITA :-).)

In aegis, it's as simple as you not having permissions to touch the files in
the baselines. So there isn't a way for you to do it even if you wanted to.
If you'd cheat and still do it (say as root), you've just messed up your
repository and all the benefits that come from using aegis are null and void
at that moment.

Cheers, Kuba