Please do not add anymore language support parts to the main tree

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Mon Sep 4 17:15:25 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 September 2006 17:35, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Monday 04 September 2006 17:44, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > > I'd like to limit the main KDevelop tree to the current 4 language
> > > supports that we have now: C and C++, C#, Java, and Ruby.
>
> I think we will make an exception for python once somebody write the
> python support and prove the ability to maintain it.
Similary JavaScript for kjsembed as it is the main scripting language (not the
same as a main RAD language) in KDE4. But maybe you don't need an IDE for
developing JavaScript. I find debugging JavaScript in Rails pretty primitive
and wouldn't mind some debugging integrated into the Rails support.

> > > If developers are interested in adding support for other languages,
> > > they should do so outside the main kdevelop tree. This fits in line
> > > with our goal of providing a core set of functionality and letting
> > > others who are interested provide other support
>
> I'm thinking of kdevelop-extragear svn module to put extra things onto.
I agree we should concentrate on just a few languages in the main tree as it
takes a lot of effort to get a critical mass of community. You need a to
start with a Free Software friendly language, along with development
environment, bindings, people interested and even then aren't guaranteed
success. For instance, despite my best efforts and that of other people
neither the Java bindings or the KDevelop Java environment really cut it in
KDE/KDevelop 3 (although I hope we can manage to pull it off in KDE 4 of
course). That is something that will never happen with Ada in KDE 3, 4 or 5.

-- Richard