More debugger bugs

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Tue Nov 28 21:49:52 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 23:33, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Hardly anything we can do about it -- KDevelop 3.4 is not released
> either, anyway.

I know, but I wonder if at that time we will have a new gdb release and
if that release will be available for the common distributions and
platforms KDevelop is running.

> I think we've discovered some time ago on IRC, that unsermake does
> not compile with -O0 -g -- which leads to exactly the problems you
> see.

This is what I meant with --enable-debug without full. I found the whole
flag line used to compile:

CXXFLAGS
= -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align
 -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -fno-builtin -g -O2
-fno-schedule-insns -fno-inline -pipe -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute
-Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-reorder-blocks -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common
-DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT
 -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION

I checked and --enable-debug=full gives us:
CXXFLAGS
= -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align
-Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -fno-builtin -g3 -fno-inline -pipe
-Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common
-DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION

So -O2, -fno-schedule-insns is missing.

> Which is not to say that those problems should not be fixed. Is
> it easy to get unsermake up and running?

Sure. If your distribution doesn't have it, check out from the KDE SVN
(/home/kde/trunk/kdenonbeta/unsermake), create a link to the unsermake
executable into /usr/local/bin .

Run unsermake -f Makefile.cvs for KDevelop and later instead of make
always use makeobj.

Be sure to not mix automake and unsermake builds (so clean your build
dir before switching or use different build dirs for them).

Now what's interesting is that I cannot reproduce anymore the frame bug
with the same code. :-( I will try to get you a 100% useful testcase.

Andras