More debugger bugs

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Tue Nov 28 20:09:56 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 22:34, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 November 2006 21:21, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 November 2006 22:06, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > > I try to use this stuff and document the bugs now (also on
> > > bugs.kde.org). The first part is reported as bug #138040, the
> > > second part is #138041.
> > > I consider them serious bugs and regressions. If they are not
> > > fixed, I heavily object to release KDevelop 3.4.
> >
> > It would be much more helpful if you provide me with a way to
> > reproduce the bugs -- I can't quite debug anything if all I know is a
> > single line of code.
>
> The description  is quite detailed if you ask me, and it is taken from
> KDevelop's code.  ;-)
>
> > I have 3.4 checkout, what steps do I have to make to reproduce what
> > you see?
>
> Create a project in KDevelop which has some disabled plugins (load the
> project, disable a plugin, close the project - after closing reenable
> the plugin).
> Create a project (or open if you have one) for the KDevelop 3.4 sources.
> Set a breakpoint to the line I gave:
> PluginController::getInstance()->unloadPlugins( m_info->m_ignoreParts );
> in src/projectmanager.cpp (should be line 574).
>
> Run KDevelop inside the debugger and load the project you've created.
> m_info->m_ignoreParts should have the disabled plugin names. The
> QStringList bug is visible from now on.

Reproduces. As usual, blame it on gdb :-( I'll think about how we can
workaround it.

I actually have sent a patch to gdb that would have fixed this problem, but it
was not reviewed and I did not pinged.

> After this step into the
> unloadPlugins method. You will see the second part of the QStringList
> issue.

Reproduced. Again, clearly a gdb bug, but in this case:

	- no workaround is possible
	- I think I can fix this in gdb

> Now in the framestack try to go back one level. You will see the
> framestack bug.

I can't reproduce it.

> And of course you should see those error dialogs as well. After steping
> even more in the code inside unloadPlugins I just had to abort the
> debugging due to the big amount of error dialogs I got. :-(

I can't reproduce this either. I've stepped though the function till exit with
no errors. Let me check -- are you using make, with debugging enabled?
If not, please tell how exactly you've built kdevelop.

- Volodya