More debugger bugs

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Tue Nov 28 19:34:33 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 21:21, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 November 2006 22:06, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > I try to use this stuff and document the bugs now (also on
> > bugs.kde.org). The first part is reported as bug #138040, the
> > second part is #138041.
> > I consider them serious bugs and regressions. If they are not
> > fixed, I heavily object to release KDevelop 3.4.
>
> It would be much more helpful if you provide me with a way to
> reproduce the bugs -- I can't quite debug anything if all I know is a
> single line of code.

The description  is quite detailed if you ask me, and it is taken from
KDevelop's code.  ;-)

> I have 3.4 checkout, what steps do I have to make to reproduce what
> you see?

Create a project in KDevelop which has some disabled plugins (load the
project, disable a plugin, close the project - after closing reenable
the plugin).
Create a project (or open if you have one) for the KDevelop 3.4 sources.
Set a breakpoint to the line I gave:
PluginController::getInstance()->unloadPlugins( m_info->m_ignoreParts );
in src/projectmanager.cpp (should be line 574).

Run KDevelop inside the debugger and load the project you've created.
m_info->m_ignoreParts should have the disabled plugin names. The
QStringList bug is visible from now on. After this step into the
unloadPlugins method. You will see the second part of the QStringList
issue. Now in the framestack try to go back one level. You will see the
framestack bug.
And of course you should see those error dialogs as well. After steping
even more in the code inside unloadPlugins I just had to abort the
debugging due to the big amount of error dialogs I got. :-(

> I don't care what extra things I have to
> checkout/build/whatever, as long as all the steps are there and the
> problem reproduces.

I hope with this information it is reproducible. I really want to have a
good KDevelop 3.4, as unfortunately 3.3 cannot be used for KDE 4 at all
(again because of debugging problems there). And I am a heavy KDevelop
user, and also try to fix bugs there, but if debugger is broken I
cannot even get close to fix the bugs either in KDevelop or my own
application. :-( (I am not experienced nor motivated enough to do the
debugging from console.)

Andras