KDevelop's QMake Manager

Steven T. Hatton hattons at globalsymmetry.com
Sun Nov 19 10:25:35 UTC 2006

On Sunday 19 November 2006 04:17, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 19.11.06 00:16:42, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > I was using the Qt from rsync, but I built that without Qt3
> > support.
>
> That was Qt4 then?
Yes.
> >  I tried using KTextEditor::Editor in my project and found I needed
> > what appears to be a Qt3 header.
>
> KTextEditor::Editor from KDE4? I thought that was already completely
> ported...

No.  I don't have time to devote to building KDE 4 right now.  I wish I did,
but it has the potential for breaking things that I can't afford to have
broken.

> > I had set the $QTDIR to the snapshot image
> > when I loaded Kdevelop the first time.  I unset the variable and
> > reloaded. That's when I got the dialog asking for the directory location.
> >  I told it /usr/lib/qt
>
> That looks like Qt3 though. So do you work with Qt3 or Qt4? You
> eventually have to change the version option under Project Options->C++
> Support->Qt Tab.

I am coding to Qt4.  SuSE has Qt3 stuff in /usr/lib/qt3. SuSE provides the qt
stuff in separate rpms.  They provide both the qt3, and the qt4 with qt3
support.  I really don't understand how it all mixes together.  Here are the
directories they provide with qt4.

for line in $(rpm -ql qt-qt3support-4.1.2-2 qt-devel-4.1.2 qt-4.1.2); do \
 echo ${line%/*}; done | grep -v mkspecs/|sort| uniq
/usr/bin
/usr/include
/usr/include/Qt
/usr/include/Qt/arch
/usr/include/Qt3Support
/usr/include/QtAssistant
/usr/include/QtCore
/usr/include/QtCore/arch
/usr/include/QtDesigner
/usr/include/QtGui
/usr/include/QtNetwork
/usr/include/QtOpenGL
/usr/include/QtSql
/usr/include/QtSvg
/usr/include/QtTest
/usr/include/QtUiTools
/usr/include/QtXml
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/pkgconfig
/usr/lib/qt
/usr/lib/qt/plugins
/usr/lib/qt/plugins/accessible
/usr/lib/qt/plugins/designer
/usr/share
/usr/share/applications
/usr/share/doc/packages
/usr/share/pixmaps
/usr/share/qt
/usr/share/qt/mkspecs
/usr/share/qt/phrasebooks
/usr/share/qt/translations

and also
/usr/lib/qt/demos
/usr/lib/qt/examples
/usr/share/doc/packages/qt/html

/usr/bin/qmake --version
QMake version: 2.00a
Using Qt version 4.1.2 in /usr/lib

> > and it told me that wasn't a valid Qt directory.  I'm on SuSE
> > 10 right now.  Any idea why that happened?
>
> Ok, I need to explain a bit more in that dialog. KDevelop detects a Qt
> directory by checking that the directory contains inlcude/qt.h or
> include/Qt/qglobalh. depending on the version of Qt used. So make sure
> you've selected the dir that has a bin, include, lib, share, mkspecs and
> so on in it.

You may or may not be aware of how many dialogs fail to provide such useful
information.

> If SuSE doesn't provide that please tell me, then we need to think about
> a different solution.

This is very similar to the problem I have with wanting to structure my
programs with header, implementation, and .pro files in different
directories.

find . -type d | grep -v svn
.
./bin