RFC: Better Simplified-IDEAL tab drawing

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Nov 10 20:55:56 UTC 2006

On 10.11.06 14:25:32, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 10.11.06 12:30:36, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> Ok, since I'm not familiar with QT4... does it provide the sort of
> >> 'collapsible tabs' that KDevelop uses? (I looked but didn't see that it
> >> did). If so, forget the rest of this message.
> >
> > It does, though not completely the same type. The Qt4 QDockWidgets can
> > be collapsed into a button.
>
> Ok, well then the obvious question is 'does KDevelop4 use these'? Based
> on your follow-up I am guessing 'no'?

KDevelop4 uses Qt's QDockwidgets, plain. It will most probably get
improved either on the Qt or KDev4 side to provide buttons.

> >> If not, has anyone considered offering a way to let styles draw
> >> KDevelop's collapsible tabs more like tabs and less like buttons?
> >
> > That is already happening, AFAIK. KDevelop allows the style to define
> > how the "buttons" look like, so all you have to do is use a proper
> > style.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this. Right now I don't see any way to
> distinguish a 'KDevelop tab button' from any other button (not without
> pulling in KDevelop headers, anyway!), except maybe 'inherits("Button")'
> which is not very re-usable. Am I missing something?

Did I say that I have no idea about the code ;) I just assumed the
buttons where from Qt's dockwidgets, but it seems they are not.

> What I want is for my style to draw a "button" differently depending
> on if it is a normal button, or one of KDevelop's "tabs". A technique
> that could be used by other apps implementing such tab bars would be
> nice, which is why I though of overloading the style flags.

I don't think this is very practical, because the style then has to know
a specific application it is used with.

Anyway, adymo will probably have much better answers for you.

You need more time; and you probably always will.