[patch] KDevelop-3.4 Debugger: Disassembler-Outputview broken

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed Nov 8 08:54:13 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 10:56, Robert Gruber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> at the current SVN-trunk the disassembler output is broken. Although the
> outputview still gets docked when starting the debugger, it does not get
> filled anymore since we have the GDB/MI debugger interface.
>
> The attached patch will fix this.
> As far as we are in feature freeze I wanted to check that the patch is ok
> for you. If there are no counterparts I will commit it.

Hi Robert,
first of all, thanks for the patch!

I think it's good except for one design issue. Together with switch to MI,
I've tried to make the architecture less centralized. So, view widgets would
issue gdb commands themself, and not emit signals that go to gdbcontroller.

For the case of disassmbler view, the best approach is to define slotEvent in
dissassbler widget, in that slot emit the necessary MI command, and handle
the MI reply by a method in disassembler widget.

That way you won't need the slotDisassemble in gdbcontroller, and won't need
the rawGDBDisassmble signal either.

You can look at variablewidget.cpp to see how slotEvent can decide if it
should emit a command or not -- but basically, it should emit a command
on 'program_state_changed' event, and probably on 'thread_or_frame_changed'
event.

How does that sound?

- Volodya